Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What Makes Snow So Magical?




Today at school we are lucky enough to have a snow day. Unfortunately, it took the administration until about 9:10 AM to decide that the roads were unsafe-- by this time many people had already driven to their 8 AM classes and had their cars get stuck in many parking lots.

Anyways, I am currently sitting in my dorm basement looking out the window and watching the snow fall. Students all bundled up walk by as they return to their dorms, and many of them stop to take pictures of the beautiful scenes all around them (thankfully they can't see me watching them from the window).  But what I can't help thinking is that this "snow" is just white powdery stuff that is actually rather boring. Yet everyone (including myself) is thrilled by it! Why? Where did we learn to get so excited about snow?

Maybe we like it because it usually means school is cancelled or because it means that we get to stay in our pajamas all day and watch Netflix (HIMYM, anyone?). Perhaps you enjoy a delicious cup of hot chocolate on days like these. Or maybe you are that person who tries to convince all your friends to put clothes on and go sledding with you. Maybe you are like me, who is just happy that class is cancelled because she didn't finish her homework assignments.... :)

Whatever you plan on doing on this beautifully snowy day, I hope you stay safe (you probably shouldn't drive anywhere based off of all the pictures of people who are pushing their cars on my Twitter feed) and enjoy yourself.

(As I am writing this, the maintenance staff are trying to plow all this snow away, but it is falling quicker than they can plow... they should probably just go home!)


Stay warm,
Christina

1 comment: